Monday, July 21, 2014

Week 3 Blog



Hello Professor and fellow classmates,
 Week 3 assignment was finding an e book for my research topic.  The e book that I chose was Soldiers to Citizens: The G.I. Bill and the Making of the Greatest Generation by Suzanne Mettler.  I was excited about learning how to properly search for an e book. 
I found out while looking for the e books that there are quite a few topics on veterans but to narrow it down was the tricky part.  The books had so many information about veterans much of which were veterans and healthcare which is another big issue. My topic is on Veterans and education. 
This week focus was on learning to find e books, the new strategies I learned were in the Badke text “Making the catalog work for you”. This was found in section 5.1.1 it talked about how search engines function. It seems as if there is so much information out there, it’s a little overwhelming for me.  I am not use to searching different search engines I have a lot  still to learn.  I also read this week assigned chapter readings in the Batdke text, the tutorials and lecture for this week was also helpful. There is so much knowledge that it seemed somewhat overwhelming at first.
 I first went to Google Books but was having difficulties coming up with anything about Veterans and education on the free e books site. In fact it became very frustrating for me so I then went over to the Brandman library and started searching.  I first went to the start your search and typed in Veteran education.  I had no luck with that so I then check the full text box, with that there was a lot of information. Then I remembered I had to check e book in the box. When I check e book I had quite a bit of information come up. I found the e book that I am using that way.  I then evaluated the information using the CRAAP test and also the Badke text on tips for evaluating information. 
This week was interesting I still feel as if I have a lot to learn on finding e books for background information for research.  I plan on continue looking to see if I can find more information of how education has helped veterans to succeed after serving in the military. I hope that I can use it in addition to my research.  I hope you all have a great week four

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheena,
    I like your research topic because I’m also interested in our veterans and their welfare. I decided to learn more about military service members and their dependents. When soldiers are away on deployment, the dependents are left with a lot of things to do to maintain the family structure. Most people do not know all that is involved with taking care of a family during deployments; most would not be able to deal with constant moving and the amount of stress. You talked about the GI Bill and how promises were made to veterans after their enlistment was over; that they would receive benefits, such as medical and education, when they left the military. When I enlisted in the 1970s, I remember very well being told by my recruiter about of all the benefits I would have after my enlistment. Your research into the success rate for rehabilitation is a good area of concern for me too. I used to volunteer at Madigan Army Hospital Critical Care Unit (CCU), working with soldiers after surgery. Although I found it very challenging at first, I did eventually find the Leatherby Libraries at Brandman University to be useful with a lot of information available on my topic. This was the first time I did this type of research and it was very challenging and stressful. Your Blog post was very interesting and good luck as we continue to move forward.
    Carl Mealing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carl,
    thank you for your feedback. Veterans and their welfare is a big concern for me. I agree it is indeed a great amount of stress dealing with deployments, moving children and the list go on. The military does take a toll on the service members and their dependents. However it is a lifestyle I would not of traded for anything meeting new people and learning new things was awesome. There are resources out there for our veterans but I feel that they should be more. I look forward to the remainder couple of weeks being able to read our classmates blogs and learn from them. Good luck to you also with your research during the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete