Hello my name is Sheena Stark. I live in the great Pacific Northwest, I have live here for the past 12 years. My husband recently retired from the United States Navy, I now have the opportunity to pursue a degree. I am attending Brandman University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership. I hope upon completion to work in the civilian world of the United States Navy in Human Resources or for the Veteran Affairs vocational rehabilitation program.
I found the lecture and ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education readings for LBSU 302 very informative. I believe that the information within those readings can help me to become a better scholarly researcher and user of information. Week 1 Lecture: Defining Terms hit upon some important points. I have never formally learned how to do research so everything that I read was new to me. I had never heard of the word information fluency. I now know that information fluency means that you are able to locate information, evaluate the information to find if it is useful and credible for your research.
The ACRL use of standards will help me as I refer back to it throughout this class to evaluate and knowing where and how to apply the information sourced during research. Looking over the standards I see that when following them step by step, I can approach research effectively. I will be guided in standard one to learn how to figure out how what type of information is needed, and how much of it is needed. In standard 2 I will be helped with how to successfully select and organize the information. Standard three talks of evaluating information and sources and deciding and including the information of choice saving it for use. Standard four talks of taking the information gathered and using it to successfully achieve the particular research goal.
I look forward to the next eight weeks of learning how to go about successfully applying all that I will learn. Currently I am lacking as far as strengths go in research, I will be challenged through out these next eight weeks but intend to work very hard to succeed. I feel that learning these concepts and skill sets will help me throughout my pursuit of obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership. It also will serve as a foundation, on which I can build on to be successful when I pursue a Master of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership.
Hello Sheena, this is Chihsu. This is my second term in Brandman. I'm also persuing the degree in Organization Leadership for B.A. I chose it because I would like to being an officer since I'm in the Navy and planed it to be a career. You said that your husband retired from Navy, Could he give me some advises to help me succeed? It would be very nice you can work in PSD once you have your degree. Good luck to you.
ReplyDeleteChihsu Lien
Hello Chihsu,
Deletethank you for your service! I commend you on pursuing a degree in Organizational Leadership. This will benefit you in your pursuit of being an officer. My husband suggest that you work on completing your degree and put in your officer package. As my goal is to either work for the Navy as a civilian or for the Veterans Affairs I plan on staying focus. Thank you for your well wishes. I look forward to sharing with you through out the next few weeks. Good luck to you also and have a great weekend.
Hi Sheena,
ReplyDeleteI, too, live in the Pacific Northwest, and I’m retired from the U.S. Army. My family and I have lived here for more than 20 years and we love it here. I found our reading assignment useful, and I’m sure it will be helpful even after this class in other research projects. I agree with you about the word information fluency, I never heard of it either until now and I now understanding that it is all about locating information, evaluating it for accuracy and creditability. I also found the CRAPP test very interesting in determining the best ways of evaluating the information you find.
Carl Mealing.
Hello Carl,
ReplyDeletethank you for your service! also thank you for the reply to my post. The Pacific Northwest is indeed beautiful many people stay here after retirement. I believe we are going to get some great information from this class. I want like you, to be able to evaluate information knowing what to use or not use. I look forward to the next couple of weeks on our journey together as classmates. Have a good weekend.
Hi Sheena, I like your Blog page! Good work. You are a very good writer. I look forward to reading you future posts. Selina
ReplyDeleteHello Selina,
Deletethank you for your kind words I look forward to having you as a classmate for the next couple of weeks. Good luck to you.