Sunday, August 10, 2014

Week 6 Blog




Hello Professor and fellow classmates,
The issues that was address in this week readings were very informative. I learned a lot this week regarding academic integrity, plagiarism, intellectual property and alternatives to traditional copyright practices.  The new ideas that were introduced to me from the tutorials was learning about Creative Commons. How interesting that was, learning about copyright licenses that allows for you to make the decision on how you want your work to be used.  I appreciate learning about this option in the event that I need to use something like that. I plan on filing this information as it might come in handy for me down the road. 
I also had no idea that YouTube dealt with copyright issues.  Wow! I am so behind in the times!  I learned about Content ID system that allow you to be able to choose how your content can be used. I intend to learn more about open Access I have never heard of this before. Am I understanding this correctly that through this we are able to access research etc that might of previously be blocked unless paid for?
I feel that learning about these ideas will tend to make me more careful about what I write. I feel that I have to check and double check to make sure that I am not using anyone words. It is scary enough to make me want to learn more to be informed.  As a consumer and as a student I will try to be more responsible. This has given me food for thought that yes, the work that I am reading someone put great effort into it. I should not use any one work without fully giving credit to the writer. 
Taking LBSU 302 has helped me with my research skills.  I have learned a lot, learning about plagiarism and academic integrity has made me feel that I have to be cautious.  I have to give credit to other people work and cannot use it as if it is my work.   I will probably read this week assigned readings and view the tutorials again. I feel that I need to completely understand this as it will help me as I continue my studies.  Hope you all have a great week 7.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheena,

    I too was surprised to find out about Youtube. It made me realize that there is so much more to plagiarism than I was aware of. It makes me ask myself if everything that we learn is someone else's ideas or work, when do we own the things that we have learned for ourselves. I too will go back and reread several of the lessons. One thing that I am will have to find out about is the frequency of citing. Such as, do we cite every complete thought, sentence or paragraph. Ignorance is bliss!!

    Good luck on you research,

    Selina Novasio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Selina,
    yes indeed! we have to be so careful with everything!! We have to always give respect to the work that we cite, and now we know that YouTube is included. Thank you for your feedback. I cannot believe we are on week #8 , how are you coming along with your research? I hope it is going well for you. Have a great weekend - Sheena.

    ReplyDelete