Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 7 Blog



 Hello Professor and fellow classmates.  This past week has been challenging for me, with the development of my annotated bibliography.  I had not been feeling well during the process of developing my annotated bibliography. This caused me to work slower over the period of time because of not feeling well.  During the process I could not focus the way that I wanted to I was only able to read a little at a time daily.
     We had to gather 6 sources it helped that I was able to use 4 of the sources that I already had.  This is the first annotated bibliography that I have had to compile. I tried my best to follow the suggested requirements in completing my annotated bibliography.  When I was organizing my sources I wanted to make sure that it was good information that I was going to use.  
     I included two new sources in my annotated bibliography. These sources were stocked full of information that I felt would help me with my research. I also found something on women who were veterans and the difficulties that they faced. I chose not to include it because I felt that it was big enough to be a paper all on its own. I felt that it might have distracted from the way I wanted my paper to read.
     When searching for my new sources I used the Brandman library and went to advance search to locate the information I was seeking.  I put in Veterans and benefits and current and came up with some interesting articles.
     I used the CRAAP Test to evaluate the information. The information I found stated when the information was published and it was important to my research.  The source of the information was credible and there were email addresses and publishers information. The information was supported by evidence and free from spelling, grammar or typographical errors.  Most of all I found the information to be informative.
     The two additional sources I found answered questions for me as to what the Veterans Association was doing to help the veterans and their families in their communities. I feel that it would help me in addressing the effects of current benefits. It spotlight on what more could be done by the Veterans Association for our veterans.
     I believe that I can still delve further and find more information for my research. In fact I will most likely do so. I am of the school that more research can never hurt. I know that I have to be careful however that I follow the guidelines when selecting additional information. 
     The aspects of my research that I feel would be most interesting to a wide audience is probably that of what the community can do to help our veterans succeed upon return from deployment. I believe that learning more about what our veterans is going through, might lead some people to want to do something about it.  This in turn will bring more awareness to our veterans overall welfare.

Researching what are the effects of current veteran benefits and how to improve them.

     Bottonari, K. A., Schultz, M. R., Resnick, S. G., Mueller, L., Clark, J., Sadow, D. C., & Eisen, S. V. (2011). Peer-led vs. clinician-led recovery-oriented groups: What predicts attendance by veterans? International Journal Of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 16(2), 5.

Available from: http://libproxy.chapman.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip,uid&db=aph&AN=89252109&site=eds-live
This report is from a study conducted on treatment of peer-led vs. clinician-led veterans. This data looked at the attendance of veterans that had peer lead services, compare to those that had clinician led services. In looking at the attendance rates the study looks into the additional benefits of peer lead services alongside clinician let services. 
This study was published in 2008 in the International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation.
The source of my information comes from a peer reviewed journal. There was a VA grant given to support the preparation of this article. There are no spelling, grammar or typographical errors.


Examining the effectiveness of Veterans Benefits Administration outreach efforts [electronic resource] : hearing before the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs of the Committee on Veterans' Affairs, U.S. House of Representatives, One Hundred Tenth Congress, second session, May 22, 2008. (2009). Washington : U.S. G.P.O., 2009.

     This article talks of the effects of the different types of outreach available for veterans. It also
Addresses the Veterans Administration responsibility to make it self more visiable to the
The veterans so that they can access them where ever they may be.  The article addresses the
Efforts that need to be put forth to help the veternas and the families in their communites or
Where ever the need might be.
     This hearing was on May 22, 2008, before the subcommittee on disability assistance and Memorial affairs. It is from a database: Government printing office catolog. This article will be useful in my research because it provides an indepth look at what can be done for the veterans and the different ways that it can be achieved. 
Mettler, S. (2005). Soldiers to Citizens : The G.I. Bill and the Making of the Greatest Generation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Available from: http://libproxy.chapman.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip,uid&db=nlebk&AN=191229&site=eds-live&ebv=EB&ppid=pp_15
     I find this source to be a reliable source. The information is current and was published on April 1, 2012. This will be useful information for me to use for my research. This information shows there is now information that shows that supported education for veterans helps with rehabilitation.
     The source of my information comes from a peer reviewed journal, the Journal of Rehabilitation. There were grants given to support the preparation of this article. There are no spelling, grammar or typographical errors. The information is very objective and comes from a college library. I evaluated the article using the criteria suggested on evaluating information using the CRAAP and Badke criteria outline in the assignment and decided to use it for this class.

Serota, M. E., & Singer, M. (2013). Veterans’ benefits and due process. Nebraska Law Review, 90(2), 387 – 434. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nlr/vol90/iss2/5
    I find this source to be a reliable source. The information is current and was published in 2013. The article addresses the issue of delays within the VA’s claims adjudication process. Veterans should not be deprived of help or what is due to them.  The VA delays in issuing claims to veterans has been horrific.  Veterans are entitled to help with their basic needs. The VA has been lacking in helping these Veterans get the help due to them. The article addresses deadlines to be set so the Veterans can get their deserved help. The information relates to the topic I am looking at, which is “What are the effects of current veteran benefits are and how to improve them”.  I would be comfortable citing this source in my research paper.
The source of my information comes from a peer reviewed journal, the Nebraska Law Review. There are no spelling, grammar or typographical errors. The information is very objective and comes from a college library.
Tsai, J., & Rosenheck, R. (2013). Examination of veterans affairs disability compensation as a disincentive for employment in a population-based sample of veterans under age 65. Journal Of Occupational Rehabilitation, 23(4), 504-512.
    This article’s focus is on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.  This study is of veterans under the age of 65 examining employment as well as disability compensation, and health.  The study looks at the instances of employment and what types of rehabilitation helps veterans with disabilities in the goals towards employment.
     This article was published in 2013 in the Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. This article is a study with no listed conflicts of interest. This article will be useful in my research as it looks at how interventions and incentives may help veterans with disabilities.

Twamley, E. W., Baker, D. G., Norman, S. B., Pittman, J. E., Lohr, J. B., & Resnick, S. G. (2013). Veterans Health Administration vocational services for Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom Veterans with mental health conditions. Journal Of Rehabilitation Research & Development50(5), 663-670. doi:10.1682/JRRD.2012.08.0137
      
    Many veterans are dealing with unemployment and mental health issues.  These are huge problems that these veterans are facing.  Many of these veterans have not been accessing the vocational services that is available.  It is shown that the Veterans has support for obtaining employment. The article states that there should be more specialist available to help with veterans who want to enter into the workforce.
     I evaluated the article using the criteria suggested on evaluating information using the CRAAP and Badke (2014) criteria outline in the assignment and decided to use it for this class. The publication information is Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development which is a scholarly and peer-reviewed journal. There are no spelling, grammar or typographical errors. The information comes from a Brandman University library.
     This journal covers several topics that will enable me to gain a better understanding of my topic. I am particularly interested in topics dealing with compensated work therapy, supported employment rehabilitation and rehabilitation. These among others will be most relevant to my topic.  This journal article also bring up subjects that I had not considered with new ideas that I am interested to further research. Topics like service utilization and depression could help me further. As it relates to the success of veterans and their  rehabilitation

No comments:

Post a Comment